Monday, November 26, 2007

What country did I just agree to go to?

Azerbaijan, apparently. Baku (the capitol) for two weeks to teach aviation English to Air Traffic Controllers. I remember when I first started to work for this school they said there was a chance I could go there, to which I promptly said yes I'd love to. THEN I checked the map and kept not finding this 'country'. And then I found it. And then I thought, 'I wonder if I really do want to go there?' Turns out I do, and I will in two weeks.
As for it's location, I plan on just acting real casual and never looking South, like avoiding an ex at a party. Also I'm now Canadian, and a devout Muslim.
Almost all of my co-workers have done two week stints there, some have done a month and all are very white and have had no problems. I get an apartment on the Caspian Sea, a hefty pay check and the opportunity to walk around and have people look at me like I'm wearing a Cookie Monster suit.

In other news, Thanksgiving was a good ole time, thanks to some great friends I've made since landing. I liken myself unto a pilgrim, arriving in a foreign country and being taken care of by the locals. On Thursday night there was a raucous gathering at my old apartment with lots of fantastic dishes, including real mince pies, homemade stuffing and all the rest. As the night went on people started picking up instruments and soon were in full swing - banjo, mandolin, bass, lap steel, fiddles, etc. We sang 'Pocahontas' by Neil Young and if at that point I wasn't convinced I was among kindred spirits, someone started up a Fred Eaglesmith song.

The 2nd Thanksgiving was on Saturday with my friends from the ITC training program and was also a lot of fun. I made two chickens in lieu of a turkey and there were lots of good dishes to feed and overfeed all 10 or so of us. Then we headed out into town and hit the clubs, just like our family does on Thanksgiving back home...

Much more seems to have taken place over the last few weeks, but for some reason I've captured exactly none of it with my camera.

It snows here occasionally, like today, then tapers to rain and leaves everything slippery at night.

Also I'm happily staying at a friend's studio for the next two weeks before heading East for two weeks, then I'll come back and move into an apartment quite near my old one, just on the other side of the fallen angel statue that I posted pictures of a while back. I'll live with a girl from Australia and a girl from Italy, both in their 30's and very nice. The place has a very calm and stable feel to it and I'm really looking forward to setting up my easel in front of the big window in my room.

But tonight I'll enjoy this space, with it's supply of books and solitude.

2 comments:

bov said...

Says Nicole regarding Azerbaijan: "Lucky F*#ker."

Also, she wants to know if you're going to go to Armenia for a vacation. I'm not sure if that's a joke or not.

maryka said...

Happy Birthday, by the way. I miss you, you little globetrotter. kisses.